Monday, March 06, 2006

Who would have thunk it??


"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are."

-- Talmud


As the quote cleary explains the intricacies of the human mind and the mindlessness of the thing I'm about to tell you - believe me, its true.

An elevator to outer space!


The theory behind the elevator is simple. First proposed 111 years ago by a Russian scientist, it was popularized by Arthur C. Clarke in his award-winning 1978 novel, The Fountains of Paradise, and goes like this: Earth is constantly spinning. So if you attach a counterweight to it with a cable, and put it far enough away--62,000 miles--the cable will be held taut by the force of the planet's rotation, just as if you spun around while holding a ball on a string. And if you've got a taut cable, you've got the makings of an elevator.


----------------

hmm...

4 comments:

LovingAndLosing said...

Cool new look!!! And why would you want an elevator to space anyway? :P I haven't even seen the earth well enough.

Anonymous said...

thanks:)

..hmm.. I would!
I'd like a bigger perpective on things.. hehe.

Anonymous said...

have you read more from the Talmud? Just curious :)

Anonymous said...

I wouldnt say I've read it all. but I have read a bit ;)